Thursday, July 5, 2012

"Andy!" - Aunt Bee


I know this is primarily a movie blog but I wanted to pay tribute to a huge tv icon that passed away on the 3rd. I didn't watch the Andy Griffith show growing up but I started watching it a couple of years ago and even more so with my dad when I would stay with him throughout the week. Mayberry was definitely like the world of Leave It To Beaver in the sense that you knew no place could be that perfect but there was a part of you that wished your town or your world was. And sitcoms from that era are nothing like they are now. Old schoolers like my grandparents see that as a bad thing but I've always tried to look at social change with optimism because it is inevitable whether you agree with the change or not. But I can watch Andy Griffith and sometimes laugh just as hard as I do when I'm watching a sitcom like Seinfeld or Friends and I think that says a lot considering, again, the social changes. I love the above picture because its such a classic, iconic image of an American father and son and it reminds of when I was Opie's age and my papaw or my dad from time to time would take me fishing. I was never good at it but I didn't care. I was with the most important men in my life and that was all that mattered. R.I.P. Andy. It almost feels like we lost a president or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment